Chichester State Forest a family favourite

The numbers are in – Chichester State Forest welcomed more than 1,000 visitors over the three-day New Year’s Eve weekend.

From December 31 to January 1, Forestry Corporation of NSW and NSW Police were on site at the popular Allyn River and Telegherry camping areas to ensure the forest stayed family friendly as part of a successful blitz aimed at stamping out any antisocial behaviour.

Forestry Corporation’s Partnerships Leader Mike Hill said the increased presence of Forestry Corporation’s authorised officers and police is set to continue throughout the summer as visitor numbers grow.

“Allyn River has some fantastic areas where you can come along to camp and swim for free. It’s no wonder we see lots of visitors – especially over the summer and the Easter long weekend,” said Mr Hill.

“On the whole, people have been respectful of the conditions of entry and played by the rules. A lot of energy has gone into keeping the Allyn River clean, safe and family friendly for the summer.”

Data collected by Forestry Corporation indicates Chichester State Forest welcomed plenty of locals over the New Year’s Eve weekend, as well as people visiting from Sydney, the Central Coast, Newcastle and the Hunter.

“Visitors to the forest from outside the region make a significant contribution to Dungog’s local economy, so we’ve been working with Dungog Shire Council and Dungog Regional Tourism to better understand the information we have,” Mr Hill said.

“Forestry Corporation has made several improvements designed to enhance the forest experience along the Allyn River, including extra signage, new toilet facilities, improved waste management and upgrades to camping areas.”

Of the 1,054 visitors to Chichester State Forest over the New Year’s Eve weekend, around 35% camped while the other 65% spent the day in the forest. The majority of campers and day users were family groups and groups of young people.

Following the success of the New Year’s Eve blitz, Forestry Corporation and NSW Police are gearing up for another blitz over the Australia Day weekend. Visitors will again be reminded to drive safely, camp in designated areas, keep glass out of the river, and be respectful to other visitors and forest neighbours so everyone can enjoy their forest experience.

Visit http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/ for more information about New South Wales State forests.

Media contact: Amanda McLeod 0408 779 903 / 9407 4265